7/23/2007

Blackberry 950

I have the Blackberry 950 exchange edition. I tried the 957 for a month and returned it in favor of the 950. I like being able to bring the 950 everywhere and the small form factor is better for that. Plus, when reading text, the smaller screen is not such a big deal. I have a lot of contacts and appointments and they synch just great. I really don't use it much for that, however, because I also have a Casio EM-500. That is my main PDA. I like having both. As for email attachments, they don't really chew up RAM the way you'd think they would. I don't think they are actually stored on the handheld. The cool thing is that you can forward the message to a handy computer - say your home pc or an internet cafe and read the attachment on that machine. I use the heck out of that capability. It is much better than lugging a Laptop on a business trip. With my EM-500, I can dial in to my ISP and retrieve the forwarded messages from a pop3 mail account.

One doesn't need to be "addicted" to email for this machine to be valuable. Also, I wouldn't view it as a one-size-fits-all tool. The beauty of the Palm was that it focused on doing a few things very well. The Blackberry's strengths may be even more specialized. However, it is the Blackberry, not the endless string of PDA's that I've tried in the past 2-3 years, which has finally freed me from the laptop!!! Get you a Pocket PC with a beautiful color screen, games, and feature-rich applications, but if you need to keep in touch with clients, friends, and family while you're on the road, bring a Blackberry along too.

No comments: